WASHINGTON – Senator Eric Schmitt released the following statement regarding President Biden’s State of the Union address:
“President Biden’s spin on the state of our union does not reflect the difficult reality Missouri families, farmers, ranchers, and small businesses face every day. High prices on necessary goods and services, a wide open southern border, and a Chinese spy asset flying in American airspace for days demonstrates the utter lack of leadership from the White House,” said Senator Eric Schmitt. “Joe Biden must take responsibility for his failures – budget gimmicks and empty promises don’t help the single mother working to provide for her kids, or the farmer that is struggling to keep his generational farm afloat. Make no mistake about it: Missourians are hurting because of Joe Biden’s policies.”
- There has been no presidential failure — no matter how embarrassing or how destructive — that Biden has not called a victory.
- From calling his disastrous Afghanistan withdrawal an “extraordinary success,” to describing high inflation as “transitory,” Biden has attempted to dodge blame for disasters he created.
- Under Biden, prices on essential goods and services are higher, putting an economic strain on those who are just working to get by or feed their families.
- A Washington Post poll states that 62% of Americans say that Biden has not accomplished much during his presidency, and a CBS poll says that 61% of Americans rate the condition of the economy as “bad.”
- Joe Biden’s lax border policies have created a humanitarian crisis at the border
- Under Biden, there have been more than 4.6 million illegal border crossings – the most in U.S. history.
- In 2022 alone, there was a historic record-high of 2,577,669 illegal encounters at the Southern Border.
- Record levels of fentanyl have flowed across the wide-open Southern Border, allowing drug overdoses – largely driven by fentanyl – to become the leading cause of death for young adults 18-45 years old.
- Senator Schmitt also recently called for an investigation into the Biden Administration’s handling of the Chinese spy balloon that flew over the interior of the United States and over critically military installations undeterred for several days.