My office has the privilege to nominate Missourians deserving of admission to the United States Service Academies. The academies that accept Congressional nominations are as follows:
- U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be at least 17 years of age, but not older than 23 by July 1 of the year of admission
- Be a United States citizen and permanent resident of Missouri
- Be unmarried and have no legal obligation to support a child or other dependents
- Be of high moral character and physical aptitude.
Applying to Academies:
Before seeking a nomination, you must first request a pre-candidate file be opened with the service academies you wish to attend. You may apply and seek nomination to all academies to which you have a sincere interest in attending. Details on how to apply are available on each academy’s website. If you become an official candidate for selection, you will be screened by the Department of Defense Medical Review Board to ensure you meet the academies’ medical requirements. You must also complete a Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA).
Every applicant can seek nomination from four sources: your state’s two U.S. Senators, the U.S. Representative for the district in which you reside, and the Office of the Vice President. Applicants are encouraged to apply though all possible offices. Current members of the military, reservists, and those in ROTC programs may also seek nominations from The Secretaries of the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
My office must receive your online application on or before September 29, 2023. This application is time-consuming and requires both a written essay as well as multiple letters of recommendation, so please keep time constraints in mind when preparing your application.
Any questions may be directed to the office’s Academy Coordinator, Patrick Flesch, who can be reached by email at Academy_Nominations@schmitt.senate.gov or by phone at 573-514-8680.
Questions regarding Academy entrance procedures, including steps to apply and request a pre-candidate file, may be sent directly to the involved academy. You may reach them at the below contact information: